Sunday, April 29, 2012

Springtime Visitors!


I've always been fascinated with the fact that some butterflies migrate to the South in Autumn and return to their Northern homes in the Spring. Just an amazing thing. I've noticed the Monarchs going south in September, but not taken much notice of their return when the earth is coming back to life.

A week or two ago, I noticed my Common Privet (Ligustrum vulgare) was just blooming and smelled the wonderful aroma of its tiny white flowers. (While researching, I was surprised to see the aroma described as unpleasant on more than one website. I love the fragrance.) As I looked more closely, I could see hundreds of Red Admiral (thank you to my friend, Liz, for identifying them for me) butterflies enjoying the nectar from the flowers. A few days after taking the photos for this post, there were thousands (or so it seemed) of butterflies, including Monarchs and some that I couldn't identify. Just a wondrous sight!!


I felt like I was in a fairy tale each time I walked into my back yard. The flowers are fading and so I suppose the butterflies will move on, nourished by the nectar provided by my humble Common Privet.

In my eyes, a true miracle of nature.

I hope they stop by next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment