Sunday, June 10, 2012

Refreshing Couscous Salad

I found this recipe online the other day and it just sounded so fresh and light that I just had to try it. I was glad I did and now I have an entire bowl in the fridge for a meal and/or lunches this week. I plan to grill or bake some chicken breasts with some Greek seasoning and serve that with the salad for one meal.

I have never cooked with couscous and was surprised to find that it is just really teeny, tiny pasta! It tasted good just by itself before I mixed up the salad.

I added the cucumber to the original recipe. After I finished making the salad and walked outside for a few minutes and walked back into the house....the entire place just smelled so fresh and green from chopping the ingredients. I love that.

If you try it, let me know how you like it.



Tomato Basil Couscous Salad
From Taste of Home website
8 servings         Prep: 20 min. + chilling



Ingredients


  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 package (10 ounces) couscous
  • 1 cup chopped red onion or to taste
  • 1 cup chopped English cucumber (my addition)
  • 1 cup seeded diced plum tomatoes (I subbed in halved Cherub tomatoes.)
  • 1/3 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 1/3 cup red wine vinegar (I had to supplement with balsamic vinegar.)
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes (Again, Cherubs.)


  • Directions



  • In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil; add couscous. Cover and remove from heat.
  •     


  • Let stand 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl; fluff with a fork and cool.

  •      

  • Stir in the onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, basil, oil, vinegar, pepper flakes,

  •      salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
         (I whisked together the dressing ingredients and poured over, then mixed.)
         Garnish with tomatoes.
      
         Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 223 calories, 10 g fat,
         (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 389 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate,
         2 g fiber, 6 g protein.

    4 comments:

    1. I wanted to note that I made this Sunday evening. I had some on Tuesday evening and it was good. Wednesday evening, not so much. The green onion had turned a bit bitter with the vinegar. When I make it again, I would probably make half a recipe as I seemed to be the only one who ate it.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Couscous is manna from the Gods! I love it in cold dishes. Thanks for sharing!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Sheena, I made different recipe Sunday night and I might just like it better than this one!

      ReplyDelete
    4. Sub in red onion for green and it stays fresher.

      ReplyDelete